Marilyn J. Sorensen's Speaking and Events Schedule
Dr. Sorensen is a contracted speaker with Cross Country Education and as such goes on 3-day speaking tours in major cities of the U.S. presenting her Low Self-Esteem Recovery Program to other mental health professionals for which they get Continuing Education Credit. Her audiences include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, licensed counselors, prison officials, directors of programs for troubled youth and abused women, pastors, college professors, and teachers in public schools and other areas of child care, doctoral students, medical doctors, nurses, and others.
December 2011 Speaking Events in Texas
- SAN ANTONIO - November 30, 2011, Hotel Embassy Suites
San Antonio NW, 7750 Briarbridge, San Antonio TX 78230, 210-340-5421
- AUSTIN - December 1, 2011, Hotel Wyndham Hotels Wyndham
3401 South IH 35 Travis, Austin TX US 78741, 512-448-2444
- HOUSTON - Dec 2, 2011, Hotel Hilton Houston Hobby Airport, 8181 Airport Boulevard, Houston TX 77061-4142, 713-645-3000
November 2011 Speaking Events in Southeast U.S.
- JACKSONVILLE - November 9, 2011, Wyndham Jacksonville
Riverwalk Hotel, 1515 Prudential Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32207, 904-396-5100
- ATLANTA - November 10, 2011, Hilton Suites—Atlanta Perimeter,
6120 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Atlanta, GA 30328 770-668-0808
- BIRMINGHAM - November 11, 2011, Sheraton Birmingham, 2101
Richard Arrington Jr. N., Birmingham, AL 35203 205-324-5000
October 2011 Speaking Events in Wisconsin
- MADISON - October 19, 2011, Radisson Inn, 517 Grand Canyon
Dr., Madison, WI 53719, 608-833-0100
- APPLETON - October 20, 2011, Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk
123 E. Wisconsin Ave., Neenah, WI 54956, 920-725-8441
- MILWAUKEE - October 21, 2011, Brookfield Suites Hotel and Convention Center 1200 S. Moorland Rd., Brookfield, WI 53005, 262-782-2900
September 2011 Speaking Events in the Chicago Area
- SCHAUMBURG - September 21, 2011, Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows,
3405 Algonquin Rd., Rolling Meadows, IL 60008, 847-259-5000
- BLOOMINGTON - September 22, 2011, The Chateau of Bloomington,
1601 Jumer Dr., Bloomington, IL 61704, 309-662-2020
- CHICAGO - September 23, 2011, Crowne Plaza Hotel Northbrook 2875 N. Milwaukee Ave., Northbrook, IL 60062, 847-493-6900
June 2011 Speaking Events in Louisiana and Texas
- SHREVEPORT - June 28, 2011, Holiday Inn Shreveport West, 5555 Financial Plaza, Shreveport, LA 71129 318-688-3000
- DALLAS - June 29, 2011, Ramada Dallas Love Field, 1575 Regal Row, Dallas, TX 75247 214-638-6100
- LUBBOCK - June 30, 2011, Holiday Inn Hotel and Towers, 801 Ave. Q, Lubbock, TX 79401 806-763-1200
April 2011 Speaking Events in Minnesota
- Duluth, Minnesota, April 27, 2011, Edgewater Resort, 2400
London Rd., Duluth, MN 55812-728-3601
- St. Cloud, Minnesota, April 28, 2011, Radisson Suites,
404 W. St. Germain, St. Cloud, MN 56301, 320-654-1661
- St. Paul, Minnesota, April 29, 2011, Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul City Center, 411 Minnesota, St., St. Paul, MN 55101 651-291-8800
March 2011 Speaking Events in California and Nevada
Overcoming Low Self-Esteem: Recognizing and Treating This Prevalent Issue
What You Need to Know to Identify and Treat Low Self-Esteem
- San Diego, CA, March 2, Courtyard San Diego Downtown,
530 Broadway St., San Diego, CA 92101 619-446-3000
- Irvine, CA, March 3, The Hills Hotel, 25205 La Paz
Rd., Laguna Hills, CA 92653 949-586-5000
- Torrance, CA, March 4, Holiday Inn, 19800 S. Vermont
Ave., Torrance, CA 90502 310-781-9100
- Sherman Oaks, CA, March 30, Sportsmen’s Lodge Hotel,
12825 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA 91604 818-769-4700
- Ontario, CA, March 31, Radisson Ontario Airport,
2200 E. Holt Blvd., Ontario, CA 91761 909-975-5000
- Las Vegas, Nevada, April 1, Gold Coast, 4000 W. Flamingo Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89103 702-367-7111
Dr. Sorensen was interviewed for an article in the Fall 2010 issue of Wastenaw Community College's Career Focus magazine. Excerpt below. Full article here.
Given the choice between hiring two equally bright candidates–a shiny, happy person or a negative sad sack–who would you choose? It’s a no-brainer; individuals exuding self-conﬁdence–faith and trust in their abilities–are those we want to be around and hire. … Marilyn J. Sorensen, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist and author of Breaking the Chain of Low Self-Esteem, says a lack of self-confidence can be a symptom of low self-esteem, a condition where a person mistakenly believes that they are inadequate, unlovable, unworthy or incompetent. This way of thinking only increases a job seeker’s fear of making a mistake or failing–and plunges their level of self-conﬁdence.
Dr. Sorensen was interviewed on November 10th for an article on self-esteem for Woman's Day online magazine.
Dr. Sorensen was interviewed May 1st by a columnist writer for the Times in Victoria, British Columbia for a upcoming article on self-esteem. Read the Edmonton Journal article.
March 5, 2009 Dr. Sorensen spoke at Willamette University's Health Fair in Salem, Oregon. Her presentation explained what low self-esteem is, when it develops, and the inner experience of low self-esteem as well as what's necessary to recover from this devastating problem.
October 2, 2009, quotes from Dr. Sorensen and comments on her work were the main focus of an article in the Edmonton Journal (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) entitled, How To Give a Healthy Message of Self-Esteem To You Kids, written by Katherine Dedyna, Canwest News Service.
In January 2010, Dr. Sorensen was interviewed by Dr. Jess Shatkin & Dr. Alexandra Barzvi in New York on Sirius XM "Doctor Radio's-About Our Kids" (psych/parenting show) on the topic of children and low self-esteem.
Alex Barzvi, PhD, New York. Show Host of About Our Kids
I want to thank you so much for being a guest on our show. You were really fantastic, and it was a real treat to have you on. I loved the way you spoke so eloquently on the radio. It is very important to me that parents who are listening really feel like they can understand the issues being discussed and apply the principles to their own families when appropriate. You did a nice job reaching our listeners.